I can distinctly remember the first time I had a Tartufo. I was about 6 years old and on a family holiday in Italy. We were eating out and after finishing off my meal, my dad took me to choose a dessert. I remember peering through the glass and seeing a chocolaty dessert. I chose it and waited expectantly at the table for my dessert to arrive. When it arrived, I digged into it and discovered a layer of vanilla ice-cream and chocolate sauce underneath the chocolate layer. And it was the best thing that ever touched my lips. To this day it is still my favourite dessert however I cannot have it since I am lactose intolerant so I made a lactose free version this Valentine’s day and I am sharing it with you all! You’re welcome ;).
Ingredients: (makes 4-5)
For the chocolate ice-cream:
- 50g dark chocolate (I used the 70% Green & Black’s dark chocolate)
- 50g cocoa (I used Green & Black’s cocoa)
- 85mls lactose free cream
- 200mls lactose free milk of choice
- 2 egg yolks
- 75g sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste
For the vanilla ice-cream:
- 100ml lactose free milk e.g. Arla’s Lactofree Milk or Rice milk
- 95ml lactose free cream e.g. Arla’s lactofree cream
- 28g caster sugar
- 1 egg yolks
- 1/8 tsp vanilla paste
- 25g dark chocolate
- 45g double cream
- 40g caster sugar
- 40g water
- 15g cocoa powder
Extra cocoa powder for dusting
- Prepare the chocolate ice-cream following the instructions here.
- Put chocolate ice-cream in silicon half sphere moulds (like these) leaving a well at the centre of each. Set some of the chocolate ice-cream aside to use later to cover the bottom of the spheres. You can use a ramekin instead or a glass. If you do line with baking paper.
- Place the ice-cream in the freezer until set.
- Make the chocolate syrup by placing the double cream, sugar and water in a pan and bringing it to a boil.
- Remove from the heat and add the cocoa.
- Stir in the dark chocolate until melted. Cool the syrup.
- Add approximately 1 tablespoon of chocolate syrup to the well in the chocolate ice-cream and place in the freezer again to set.
- Prepare the vanilla ice-cream following the instructions here.
- Place the vanilla ice-cream in the well at the centre of the sphere on top of the chocolate syrup.
- Place in the freezer. Meanwhile take the chocolate ice-cream set aside out of the freezer and allow to soften.
- Once the chocolate ice-cream is soft, cover all the vanilla with a layer of chocolate ice-cream using the ice-cream set aside.
- Place in the freezer until set.
- To serve remove the half spheres from the mould. Leave at room temperature for approximately 10 minutes to soften. Dust with cocoa powder and serve.