Avocado on toast must be about the most photographed food on instagram! For the longest time I have avoided avocado as it is high FODMAP however a 20g portion (1/8 of an avocado) is actually low FODMAP (Monash University low FODMAP App). I’ve been making my own guacamole for a while when making burritos and one day I decided to try it on toast for breakfast with a poached egg and it’s amazing!
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 thumb-sized piece of fresh ginger, chopped finely
- 1/8 of a red chilli pepper, chopped finely
- 1/2 a tomato, deseeded and chopped in small chunks
- a handful of chopped fresh coriander
- the juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 tsp lactose free natural yoghurt for extra creaminess (optional)
- 1-2 slices of bread* per person
- 1 egg per person
*1 slice of wheat bread is low FODMAP, 2 slices of wheat or spelt sourdough bread are also low FODMAP (Monash University low FODMAP App); if you have coeliac disease then use gluten free bread
- Boil water in a kettle.
- In the meantime, cut the avocado in half, remove the seed and scoop out the flesh.
- Mash the avocado with a fork.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix together. Set aside.
- Fill half a pot of water with boiling water from a kettle and bring it to a simmer.
- Crack the egg in a cup.
- With a wooden spoon swirl the water and gently pour in the egg in the center.
- Cook for approximately 2 minutes for a soft oozing yolk. Remove from the pot using a slotted spoon.
- Toast the bread.
- Spread the bread with a total 20-25g of guacamole. It’s a thin spread but its packed with flavour so a little goes a long way!
- Top with the poach egg.
- You may sprinkle with some smoked paprika and fresh coriander.