These cereal bars are very easy to make and make the perfect snack to have on the go. These cereal bars are rich in fibre therefore are not suitable for those who are sensitive to insoluble fibre.
Ingredients (makes 8 cereal bars)
- 1 1/2 cup oats (you may also use a mix of oats, buckwheat groats and quinoa) (Use gf oats if you suffer from coeliac disease)
- 3/4 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped in chunky pieces
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon flaxseeds or linseeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- 1/8 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp vanilla essence or vanilla paste
- 1 tbsp golden syrup or maple syrup
- zest of 1 orange
- 1 egg or two egg whites
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- Approx 4 tbsp of lactose free milk of choice
- Mix the oats, pumpkin, sunflower, cinnamon, ginger and mixed spice together. Place in a baking tray and bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime mix the grated carrots, flaxseeds, orange zest and walnuts.
- Mix this to the oat mixture once you take it out of the oven.
- Add the golden syrup, oil and vanilla.
- Mix everything together well.
- Add the egg or egg whites.
- Finally add the milk a tablespoon at a time until the mixture is sticky.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Scoop the mixture in the tray and level to get even cereal bars.
- Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 20-25 minutes. Cover with tin foil if the top is colouring too quickly.
- When ready remove from the baking tray by lifting the baking paper and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Once completely cool cut into cereal bars.
- You can make these in bulk and freeze them. They’re perfect to have as a snack while on the go.