Since I am going on holiday to Tenerife soon I was trying to use up all the perishable items in the fridge. There was a huge tub of yoghurt which I knew I could not finish. I hate throwing food away therefore I decided to make this simple and delicious yoghurt cake. I also made 4 muffins which I froze and will take with me on the trip as a go to snack. I used plain lactose free yoghurt in the recipe however you can used flavoured yoghurt too. I filled mine with some strawberry jam and dusted it with icing sugar. If using jam be careful to chose a jam made from low FODMAP fruit and that it does not contain glucose-fructose syrup as this would contain excess fructose.
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups gf all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp gf baking powder
- 1/4 tsp xantham gum if the all-purpose mix does not contain gum
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil (I used sunflower oil)
- 1/2 cup lactose free yoghurt
- 1/4 tsp vanilla paste or vanilla extract
- strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Whisk all the ingredients together until you have a smooth batter.
- Grease or line a cake tin. I used a 5 inch cake tin and 4 muffin tins. However you could use an 8 inch cake tin.
- I baked the 5 inch cake for approximately 30 minutes and the muffins for approximately 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. If making a bigger cake bake for longer. You may need to use a lower temperature.
- Leave the cake to cool before removing from the tin and then transfer to a wire rack until completely cool.
- Cut the cake in half if filling and spread the bottom layer with jam. Sandwich the two halves together and dust with icing sugar.