In one of my attempts to make baked oatmeal I ended up with this fluffy oat cake instead which is to die for. Everyone that tried this cake loved it, so I’d say it’s definitely worth a try. It is mildly sweet so if you want yours sweeter put more sugar in. Here it is. The one in the picture below was from when I divided the batter in two and baked it in a lasagna dish so it turned out quite shallow. I also served mine with blueberries… I just have to add berries in pretty much everything I eat. They’re just too good!
Cinnamon Oat Cake
- 3 cups rolled oats – gf if needed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 cup oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk or milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix together.
- Grease a loaf or a cake tin.
- Mix the sugar and cinnamon for the topping.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon mixture.
- Place in a cold oven (weird yes but otherwise it seems to turn out dense). Turn oven on to 175C and bake for 40-45 minutes or until cooked. You can test by inserting a toothpick. If it comes out clean the cake is done.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
PS: If you suffer from IBS be mindful of the portion size as 1/4 cup of oats is low FODMAP however 1/2 a cup is moderate FODMAP.
Here’s another picture. Somehow this turned out a lighter colour.
If you like this recipe and would like to see more click follow to receive an e-mail when a new post is up.