I really love berries with my favourite berries being blueberries. I eat them with pretty much everything however I had never tried adding these to oatmeal. Oatmeal is quite new to me actually. Growing up we never had porridge at home. I think my first exposure to porridge was when I moved to London four years ago. It took me three years to actually get to try porridge because let’s admit it…it doesn’t look very appetising… The first time I tried porridge it was a huge failure. I bought an instant oats pot and followed the instructions and I ended up with a watery mess which ended up in the bin. More recently, I found out I had elevated cholesterol levels and oats being rich in soluble fibre helps lower cholesterol levels, therefore I decided to give oats another go. This time I used rolled oats and made it myself on the stove. I also flavoured it with cocoa powder and thickened it a lot. And I loved it! So now I joined the porridge loving community and am trying to keep mixing it up by coming up with new flavours. My latest experiment was to combine my beloved blueberries with oats coming up with the blueberry swirl oatmeal.
Blueberry swirl oatmeal
For the blueberry coulis:
- 1/4 cup blueberries
- 1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
For the oatmeal:
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup almond milk or other lactose free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Start by making the blueberry coulis. Put blueberries, sugar, lemon zest and water in a small pan. Cook until blueberries soften. Mash the blueberries while cooking and thicken mixture slightly. You may blend with a blender or strain to remove the skins.
- Meanwhile boil almond milk in a separate pan.
- Add oats, sugar and vanilla once milk is boiling. Thicken until you achieve your desired consistency.
- Put cooked oats in a bowl. Pour the blueberry coulis on top and mix slightly until you achieve swirls.
- and voila you now have blueberry swirl oatmeal!
If you like this recipe and would like to see more click follow to receive an e-mail when a new recipe is up.