One of the things I miss the most on the low FODMAP diet are onions and garlic. I used to put them in everything I cooked….I even ate them raw. Not being able to use them just seems wrong and food just doesn’t taste the same without. Luckily, you can still get the flavour without having to eat garlic and onion and without getting those nasty symptoms. Hurray! When garlic and onion are cooked in oil the flavours are released into it however the FODMAPs (fructans in this case) remain in the garlic clove and onion because they are water soluble. How great is that?! Finally something working out in our favor eh? You can buy infused oils at the supermarket but if you can’t find them or perhaps want a cheaper alternative then these recipes are very easy and quick to make.
Garlic infused olive oil
- 250ml olive oil or any other oil will also work
- 3 tablespoons of garlic cloves
- Heat the oil in a pan.
- Add the garlic and cook until it turns a golden colour.
- Take off the heat and cool.
- Once cool store take the garlic out and slice.
- Put the garlic at the bottom of a jar and top with the oil.
- Store in the refrigerator and use within a week due to the risk of bacteria growing.
For onion infused olive oil simply substitute the 3 tablespoons of garlic with onion and follow the same method!
Optional: You can also try adding herbs like a sprig of dried rosemary or spices like chili flakes to the infused oils for more flavour. Add these after you take the oil off the heat.
If there is any recipe you would like to see turned into low FODMAP let me know in the comments below! 🙂
If you have enjoyed this recipe and would like to see more click follow to receive an e-mail when a new recipe is uploaded.