I fell in love with Tzatziki on a family holiday to Athens as a kid. I had tzatziki with everything; salad, meat, bread… I just couldn’t have enough of it! Last weekend I made koftas and greek salad and I had to have tzatziki with it so I made my own low FODMAP version! Greek yoghurt has a very low lactose content therefore most people with lactose intolerance can tolerate it. However I would still recommend to mind your portion! The gastroenterology department at Kings College London recommend to limit intake of greek yoghurt to 2 tablespoons.
- 150ml greek yoghurt (I used one with 0% fat)
- 1/4 cucumber
- 40ml garlic infused olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh or dried dill
- salt to taste
- Peel and grate the cucumber.
- Sprinkle a little salt on the grated cucumber and put in a sieve over a bowl. Salt will help remove water from the cucumber. Let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Squeeze the cucumber and make sure to remove as much water as possible.
- Combine all the ingredients together. Mixture should be creamy.
- Let it sit in the fridge for about three hours. This helps the flavours to develop and the tzatziki to set.
Enjoy! If there are any other dishes you would like a low FODMAP version of let me know in the comments below and I will try and make it. 🙂
If you liked this post and would like to see more click follow to receive an e-mail when a new post is up!