I love pancakes. I could eat them for every meal of the day! In the past, I haven’t had much success with coconut flour as it always made pancakes taste weird and powdery so I had shunned coconut flour and exiled it to the back of the cupboard. Recently, after successfully making wheat and gluten free roti I felt confident and attempted coconut flour pancakes again. This time round the pancakes where so tasty and moist! I’m now addicted and I can’t have enough of these. I’ve been having them for breakfast everyday since Sunday. I usually layer my pancakes with some lactose free yoghurt and fruit.
Coconut Flour Pancakes
- 15 grams coconut flour
- 2 eggs or 1 egg and 1 egg white (If using egg white approx 40g works well. However pancakes work better with 2 whole eggs)
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon xantham gum
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 teaspoons truvia/stevia
- Mix all dry ingredients together.
- Add wet ingredients and mix well or blend with a hand blender. Batter with be thick.
- Heat a crepe pan or griddle on medium heat.
- I apply some 1kcal olive oil spray to prevent the pancakes from sticking.
- Once pan/griddle is heated, use a tablespoon or a ladle and put dollops of pancakes on the griddle.
- Once they start bubbling flip them over.
- The pancakes will rise a lot once flipped. Cook until golden and plate.
- Pancakes will deflate once plated but don’t worry they will still taste delicious.
- Serve with your favourite FODMAP friendly topping.
Suggestions: maple syrup, lactose free yoghurt, jam (check label for glucose-fructose syrup which is high FODMAP!), fruit, melted dark chocolate or chocolate sauce, raspberry or strawberry coulis, lactose free custard sauce, jam sauce, Melba sauce, peanut butter and bananas.
Let me know what you top it with in the comments below!
Nutritional info for pancakes made with 2 whole eggs: approx 240kcal, 18g protein, 13g carbohydrates and 13g fats.
Nutritional info for pancakes made with 1 whole egg and 1 egg white: approx 183kcal, 16g protein, 12g carbohydrates and 8g fat.
- Add 5-10g dark chocolate chips.
- Add 1/8 teaspoon of each; cinnamon, ground cloves and aniseeds. A pinch of ground ginger and ground nutmeg.
- Add lemon zest of 1/2 a lemon and 1 teaspoon lemon juice.
- Add a teaspoon of chopped low FODMAP nuts e.g. walnuts, pecans. Serve with caramelized bananas.
Here’s more pictures of the pancakes. Here I layered them with some strawberry jam and lactose free yoghurt.