Going on the low FODMAP diet can be difficult and seem restrictive at first so I decided to put together a list of healthy snack ideas to make the transition slightly easier. I hope you find it useful.
- 1 Banana topped with 1tsp low fodmap nut butter (e.g. peanut butter, macadamia butter, walnut butter, hazelnut butter). Make your own nut butter by blending nuts in a food processor until they turn into a smooth butter. It only takes 5-10 minutes and it is much better than the store bought ones!
- 1 cup Kale chips. Make your own at home! Buy a big bunch of kale and cut the leaves off the big middle vein. With 6-8 cups of kale add 1 tbsp olive oil, 2 tbsps vinegar and a little salt. Mix well and bake in pre-heated oven at 180C for 10 minutes. Turn half way and keep an eye on them so they do not turn brown.
- Boiled egg
- 80g grapes raw or frozen
- Carrot sticks with lactose free cream cheese. Optional: add herbs to cream cheese. Or serve with tzatziki, get the recipe here.
- Lactose free yoghurt with a portion (80g) of fresh fruit; low fodmap of course
- Yoghurt parfait using lactose free yoghurt and low fodmap granola
- Rice crackers/cakes with low fodmap toppings e.g. pesto*, tomatoes and feta cheese; smoked salmon and lactose free cream cheese
*limit to 1/2 tbsp. 1 tbsp has a moderate amount of FODMAPs
- Fruit smoothie made with fresh fruit, lactose free yoghurt and lactose free milk. May use frozen fruit for a thick iced smoothie. E.g. banana & 2 tbsp peanut butter with 1 cup of milk.
- Air popped popcorn. (Popcorn can be a trigger for some due to the insoluble fibre content)
- Pot of jelly (Check ingredients and avoid those with glucose-fructose syrup)
- Banana ice-cream. Freeze a banana and blend it. If needed add a little lactose free milk to achieve the correct consistency. You can add cocoa powder for a chocolate flavour!
- Oatmeal. Make a small portion using 1/4 cup oats.
For chocolate fudge oatmeal; bring 3/4 cup lactose free milk to a boil, add 1/4 cup rolled oats, 1 tbsp cocoa powder and 1 tbsp brown sugar. Simmer until you reach desired consistency. I like mine very thick!
For spiced oatmeal; bring 1/2-3/4 cup lactose free milk to a boil. Add 1/4 cup rolled oats, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, 1/8 tsp ground ginger and 1 tsp maple syrup. Simmer until you reached desired consistency.
- Handful of low FODMAP nuts or seeds or a mixture of both
- 1/2 sandwich with wheat free bread.
fillings: grilled chicken, tomatoes, lettuce; cucumber and lactose free cream cheese; smoked salmon, lactose free cream cheese and dill; tuna with low fat mayo and cucumber
PS: Remember to always read food labels!