This is one of my absolute favourite dishes to eat during Summer. With temperatures above 30C in Malta this dish is very refreshing, healthy and low Fodmap! It’s a win win situation. However if you have issues with insoluble fibre I’m afraid this recipe ain’t for you as it’s loaded with raw veggies.
I usually only use rice for this recipe but last time I made it I added 1/4 cup of cooked tri colour quinoa to it. So feel free to play around =D. I’m not a big eater so this recipes usually makes 2 servings for me.
Tuna Rice Salad
- 1/2 cup rice. I like to use basmati rice. You may decrease the amount of rice and substitute it with quinoa if you like.
- 1 tomato chopped
- 1 small carrot grated
- 1/4 to 1/2 bell pepper chopped
- handful of olives chopped. Like a true Mediterranean girl I love love olives therefore I tend to put quite a lot in mine.
- 1/4 cucumber chopped
- handful of fresh parsley and fresh basil chopped. you may also use dried basil and parsley
- 1 can of tuna in olive oil
- handful baby spinach or other salad leaves
- tsp garlic infused oil
- lemon juice + zest
- Boil rice.
- While the rice is boiling chop the vegetables and mix them together. Add the tuna along with the olive oil.
- Add garlic oil, zest of 1 lemon and some lemon juice and mix everything.
- Finally add in the boiled rice and mix everything together well. (Add quinoa as well if you like)….
…And dig in!